Saying that Janet Lee’s book, Living in a Nutshell: Post and Portable Decorating Ideas for Small Spaces (Harper Design; $16.99), is essential for everyone would be an understatement. Yes, the book’s target audience are people living in small spaces, but at its true core the book is also extremely smart about making the most out […]Read more →
Got a cluttered home? Look no further: two of the most respected organizers in the industry have come together in a sweet and inspirational new book, 5 Days to a Clutter-Free House (Revell; $13.99). Their team-based approach to cleaning and de-cluttering makes even the biggest job manageable. What’s great about this 5 Days is that […]Read more →
More often than not, the most special gifts we receive are the ones that are handmade. As advocates of all things crafty, we immediately fell in love with the concept and execution of Boyfriend Sweaters: 19 Designs for Him That You’ll Want to Wear by Bruce Weinstein. The book’s premise is very clever: a collection […]Read more →
We are constantly celebrating romantic love. But, when was the last time we took the time to thank our friends for their love, support and companionship? We Go Together! A Curious Selection of Affectionate Verse by Calef Brown is a book that celebrates friends, friendships, and all its novelties. Through eighteen smart, quick and thoroughly […]Read more →
Our friends at Fox Chapel recently sent us a copy of Tree Craft: 35 Rustic Wood Projects that Bring the Outdoors In, a terrific new book by Chris Lubkemann. The book is a fun collection of wood carving projects that are as approachable as they are easy to make. A master whittler, Lubkeman shows readers how to apply […]Read more →
One: Have a plan All incomings need a plan! Mail, school papers, groceries .. What am I missing? Oh and EVERYTHING kids bring in the house! EVERYTHING! Have a plan; tell them the plan, OVER & OVER & OVER & OVER! Paper ~ Bring it in, assess it all and act on it immediately. […]Read more →
This is a blogger that we can relate with! In her words, “I love to pretty-up my house. From new curtains to fabulous furniture, if I can’t find it for a bargain, I’ll try to make it myself. TRY…be warned, I am no expert with a degree in decorating or DIY. I’m just a girl […]Read more →
We’re constantly looking out for inspiration. Whether it’s an impromptu weekend day trip to Lambertville, NJ, browsing through one of the local furniture stores, or reading a magazine or website, we never stop looking for ideas!
Here are a few select places we frequent when we’re ready to start a project, or just want to be inspired:
Fabrics & Upholstery:
- Calico Corners — We LOVE this store. One-stop-shop, just pick your fabric and they’ll take care of the rest. We could work here for free!
- Fabric Factory Outlet — You can’t beat the discount prices at this store! They have two locations in NJ, Fairfield (Essex) and Bergenfield.
- Fabricland — Not only a great fabric store, it also had everything you could ever need for your upholstery project — everything.
Furniture & Decor:
- Creative Works — One of our favorite furniture stores in the area. Lovely furniture, great friendly staff and they let you try stuff at home before buying it!
- British Home Emporium — A recent discovery in Madison, NJ. We were blown away at their selection and have been going back to get ideas and take advantage of their many sales.
- Garden Cottage — Don’t get misled by the name, this store has much more than just garden furnishings.
- IKEA — Reasonable and durable furniture…and if you have an open mind and a few cans of paint, they have pieces that have the potential to be turned into really cool furniture.
- The Summit Sampler — We LOVE this store. They have beautiful furnishings for the home, and their staff is always friendly and helpful.
- Orchard Hill — This store has a huge selection of refinished Dutch Colonial furniture. All their pieces fit perfectly in our Craftsman-style house.
- Sherwin-Williams — We get all of our paints and stains from Sherwin-Williams.
- Mona Lisa Framing — We’ve been going to Mona Lisa since we moved to Maplewood. They are talented and wonderful and have guided us during some very stressful framing needs (hey…it happens!)
- The Potted Garden — A local garden designer that is fabulous and very creative
- Michael’s — What craft project would be complete without a craft store. Michael’s is great for all of the little items you need (like a glue gun, or two!)