Teaspoon Shower Curtain Hangers

Categories: Bathroom, Crafts, Decor, FeaturedTags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , Author:

We had some down time this weekend to do some late Spring cleaning. Spring cleaning is always a little nostalgic for us because I remember all of the things that we’ve done together. This weekend was no exception. As we were going through the closets and old boxes, we found some old teaspoons that we used when we were living in our apartment in Manhattan. (I’m not sure how they traveled with us all of this time, but I guess we need to go through our boxes more carefully the next time that we move!)

I hated to throw the spoons away because it reminded me of our tiny studio apartment, and I LOVED that apartment. As I was about to toss them in the trash, Alberto said that we could make new shower curtain hangers out of them…well, why not! We could turn the spoons into retro-modern hangers, and I could keep my memories (albeit in the bathroom, but better than in the trash I guess…) So now we have our new project!

Here’s what we used to make the shower curtain hangers:

• 12 metal teaspoons

This is what we needed to put it together:

• 2 pair of pliers (we used needle nose pliers, but that’s not necessary)

Let’s create shower curtain hangers!

The first thing that we needed to do was come up with the design. I had extravagant views on how we should bend the spoons. In fact my exact quote to Alberto was “I think you’ll be surprised at how easily they bend”.  Well, I was wrong…they were very tough to bend.

I started by bending the reservoir end of the spoon up to the stem.  The convex (outward curve) of the reservoir will be the outside face of the hangers. I placed the pliers at the bottom of the reservoir and bent it halfway. Then I used my hand to bend the spoon most of the way toward the reservoir. (Warning…After 12 spoons, your hand can become a little cramped.)

Next I started on the curve of the spoon stem. I placed one of the pliers about 3/4-inch from the reservoir and the other pair of pliers about 1/4- inch from the other. I bent the stem about 10 degrees. I continued up the stem about every 1/8-inch bending it about 10 degrees.  It created a natural curve.  Don’t get too hung up on the curve so long as it fits over the rod, however compare your spoons to each other to make sure that they’re close to the same shape.

We didn’t do a cocktail break because this happened too quickly, but we’ll definitely have one to celebrate. Maybe a gin martini is in order as we’ve finally had a Spring this year!

I used the spoons on the shower curtain, and they look great. What’s really fun is that they don’t look like spoons. They look like mid-century modern hangers. It just goes to show that you can do so much more with less!

FacebookPinterestTwitterTumblrEmailPrintShare

13 Responses to Teaspoon Shower Curtain Hangers

1. Sara says:

Love this! Missed you guys … how about a cocktail for the weekend too?

2. Kathy Mahood says:

awesome recycling idea looks great !!

3. Susan says:

I’d been wondering where you have been, but not wondering much as we just moved to an old 1920 farmhouse with wonky floors and all so we’re still moving in and settling…and deciding what colors to paint the rooms (kitchen will be the yellow from our last house with white cabinets…as the blue ones currently in there were badly done and a horrid shade of blue!)

4. Darcie says:

OMG, I love this idea. You guys are fantastic ! What a great eco touch.

5. Faith K says:

This is a great idea! But honestly, I think I’d like them even better with the bottom part of the spoon (the ‘fancy’ part) on the outside. I need to hit the yard sales for cheap spoons!

6. Sue says:

Ya!!! Wonderful idea but I would like the “end” of the spoon to show, that’s where the pattern is, so can you do that or … you know, I don’t see why not. I will answer my own question. tee hee. I have missed you guys, and like someone else has requested, how about a lovely bevy recipe for the weekend, it supposed to be hot here in Victoria BC :) Thanks again and also for sharing. 😉

7. Sandy says:

Great idea!!!!

8. Susan says:

I just love this idea… so funny that you thought of the spoons. I have been looking out my upstairs window thinking that one of my tall trees needs a spoon windchime in it but I love the way you guys recycled and kept the memories. Love you…

9. Linda @ Fingers in the Dirt says:

I think I’ll use this idea for my new kitchen curtains!

10. JennieD says:

Another great idea you’ve come up with! What a great way to “repurpose” old spoons. I would agree with “Sue” said about the pattern. If the spoon has a pattern, then that’s the side that be showing. I’ve seen windchimes made from spoons, but never have I seen them used as shower curtain hooks. Wow! Learn something new every day! :)

How have you guys been? This is the first post from your site in some time. I hope everything is/was okay with you both. I missed seeing “Our Crafty Home” in my inbox all the time! Take care & have a good weekend!!

11. Rita Dean says:

I think the spoon shower curtain rings would work better if you just bent the handle all the way around to make a circle, then slid the curtain through the holes. They would probably stay on the pole and not slip off when opening the curtain. Love your site.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!